Traditional PASHTUN Recipe:
Quabili Pulaw Dampukht
(Rice with Carrots and Raisins)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon each cinnamon, cloves, cumin, and cardamom
- 2 medium carrots, cut into small, match-stick-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar 1 cup seedless raisins
- pinch of saffron
- 2 Tablespoons blanched almonds
- 2 Tablespoons blanched pistachios
- 2 to 3 cups rice, cooked in broth from cooking meat
- Heat oil and brown onion. Add beef stew meat and brown on all sides.
- Add water and spices. Cover pan and simmer mixture until meat is tender (about one hour).
- Remove meat and set aside. Save the broth to use for cooking rice.
- Heat small amount of oil in a small pot and add carrots and almonds. Cook until carrots and almonds are lightly browned.
- Remove carrots and almonds, and add them to the meat. Put raisins in the saucepan with about ¼ cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes until raisins are puffy.
- Remove raisins and add them to the meat mixture. Cook the rice according to package directions, using the broth from step 3 for the liquid, adding more water if necessary.
- Combine all ingredients and mix. Place mixture in a large casserole and bake at 300° F for 20 to 30 minutes.