Halvah Shortbread :
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- pinch of salt
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 cups unbleached pastry flour
- ½ cup toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped or ground
- a few pecan or walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 375° F .
- Cream the butter with the tahini, using a food processor or electric mixer, or by hand. Add the salt and brown sugar, and blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle in the flour, blending well. Mix in the chopped or ground nuts. The dough will be very stiff.
- Lightly butter two 7-inch pie plates or shallow baking pans. Press the dough to evenly cover the bottom of the pie plates to a thickness of no more than 1 inch. Press a few nut halves into the surface to decorate.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Check the short-bread frequently, and remove it from the oven as soon as the edges are golden-brown.
- While it is still warm, cut each short-bread into 8 or 10 wedges in the pan (if you wait until it is cool to cut it, it will crumble).